Senator Akpabio advocates against issues of sentiments in leadership
Senator representing Ikot Ekpene Senatorial District in the National Assembly and erstwhile Governor of Akwa Ibom State, Godswill Akpabio has frowned at the play out of sentiments, ethnicity and religion in the process of choosing credible National leaders.
He made his stance known at a rally organised by the Christian Youths Association in support of President Muhammadu Buhari's re-election, and Obong Nsima Ekere's election as Governor of Akwa Ibom State come 2019.
The rally which was held at the Ibom Sports Stadium yesterday, September 13, 2018 saw thousands of youth and women groups defy the heavy downpour to register their support for the APC leaders.
The former State Governor warned against bringing ethnic sentiments into issues of leadership, noting that both the Holy Bible and Quran has one central theme which is love.
"I am one of the latest defectors to the APC, and people do not know why. I have watched Nigeria for a long time, I don't believe that Nigeria belongs to a particular set of people, I believe that Nigeria belongs to all.
In 2015, we all had our choices, but God has his way, and then God brought President Muhammadu Buhari. What does that tell us? that no matter what we do, 99.9% human effort, only the other 0.1% belong to God. That is when you become successful." He further remarked.
Senator Akpabio didn't spare the sect of religious leaders and political critics in the state who saw those joining the APC as Anti-christs. He described them as the real Anti-christs, noting that no Christian leader, Pastor or Bishop would preach hatred instead of salvation.
Senator Ita Enang who acted in a representative capacity for President Buhari thanked the Christian Youths for mobilizing support for the President's second term bid, and promised to relay their message back to Aso Rock. He enjoined all party faithfuls to love even their political opponents, as the current administration is not one given to alienation.
At the event, Obong Nsima Ekere was presented with the symbolic key to the Akwa Ibom State Government House come 2019, while Senator Enang received that of President Buhari which is also symbolic of his return to Aso Rock next year. The Christian Youths also made Senator Godswill Akpabio the Grand Patron of the APC in Akwa Ibom State.
Chief Don Etiebet, the leader of APC in Akwa Ibom, as well as the State Chairman were not left out, as everyone had a thing or two to say in furtherance of the Progressives movement.